DHS Seal - FEMA    
FEMA Section 106 Notices for Louisiana
Comment on "Notice of Proposed Expansion of New Orleans Historic Districts"
Click here to close this window

Name: Bari Landry
City: New Orleans, LA
Comments: As one of the younger areas of our City, District 5 (Lake area and City Park area) is just reaching the age to have a historic content. As part of our Bring New Orleans Back process, District 5 has identified a number of properties that we believe should be considered for National Register consideration. Our list and some description appears below:

South Lakeview Historic District - Lakeview

South Lakeview Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The borders are jagged, and not all of the older homes south of I-610 were included in the district. The boundaries of the district should be revisited with an eye to expansion.

Homedale Subdivision - Lakeview

Built in 1912, Homedale is the first subdivision developed in Lakeview by the New Orleans Land Company. Homedale is a uniquely protected neighborhood nestled between freeway, railroad tracks and Canal Blvd.

Park Place Subdivision - Lakeview

The Park Place subdivision was developed between 1944 and 1947 by Wallace C. Walker, a private contractor who was also a primary in developing "The Miracle Mile" along Tulane Avenue in the 1960's. The property was the site of the former United Fruit Company Radio Station. Walker's company shop provided the high quality building materials for construction. All the framing and structural lumber was grade marked Southern pine, while the exteriors were deep water cypress. All operations are performed through quantity buying. Pre-cut in the shop, the lumber was assembled at the site, with no waste of material or labor.

One important feature of the subdivision, was the fact that it was located on high land known as Metairie Ridge, which consisted of solid clay instead of the loamy alluvial soil of the surrounding area. "We have explored the soil in Park Place 25 feet down, he said, "and it is all clay. The City Park stadium, the heaviest structure of its kind in the city is built on this ridge, and that indicates that there is no chance of settling or sinking."

Homes at Park Place were constructed under FHA supervision. The original price range of exclusive Park Place homes was from $7,000 to $18,000. Coming off the heals of the Great Depression and with a World War going on in Europe, the average income in America was around $1,300 and unemployment was at 6%. You could say that this was a pricey, exclusive area.

No other subdivision in Orleans Parish was laid out in such an angular way. It is enclosed within itself with limited access from Navarre, Orleans or Marshall Foch; those entrances are marked with substantial stone pillars. Many of the current residents are the original owners or their heirs.

Lakeview School - Lakeview

Lakeview School was constructed in 1915 as the first public school in the Lake Area. It is one of the few remaining examples of Arts and Crafts architecture in a commercial building.

Blue Tile Roof House, 6339 West End Blvd - Lakeview

Among the first homes built in Lakeview, the "Blue Tile Roof" house was designed by architect H. Jordan McKenzie and built by Robert Markel, circa 1910. Building materials for the home were brought by barge down the New Basin Canal (which the home faced).

Louque Place Light Standards - Lakeview

The two distinctive three-globe light standards on Louque Place at the corner of Canal Blvd are the last known surviving standards removed from Canal Street during the 1930 replacement of all lighting on Canal St. by the City of New Orleans. These two standards originally stood outside of the D. H. Holmes store, 819 Canal Street. When the standards were removed, these two were placed at the corner of Louque Place by the neighborhood association to honor the "father of Lakeview" Charles Louque, local attorney and originator of the New Orleans Land Company for whom Louque Place was named.

Wedell Monument - Lakeview

The Wedell Monument, located on the Canal Blvd neutral ground at City Park Avenue, honors pioneering aviator James "Jimmie" Wedell. Wedell was renoun for his pioneering aircraft designs, and partnered with Harry Williams to found the Wedell-Williams Air Service in 1929 (after Wedell's death it became a part of Eastern Airlines). Wedell broke the existing speed record in February, 1934, as part of opening ceremonies for Shushan (now Lakefront) Airport. Wedell died four months later in a crash, and the monument was placed to honor his memory and contributions.

Magnolia Garden Bridge on Bayou St. John - Parkview

The bridge that is currently over Bayou St. John at Harding Drive was originally at Esplanade Avenue. It is an iron truss bridge build by the Pennsylvania Bridge Company, sometime between 1880 and 1900. In about 1905-1910 a new bridge was planned for Esplanade Avenue so it was thought that the old bridge could be used elsewhere. The bridge was disassembled and taken on barges to its present site at Harding Drive, across from what is now Cabrini High School.
When the bridge was moved to Harding it was mounted on a gear that allowed the bridge to turn (or swing), which allowed bayou traffic to proceed. However, eventually the Bayou was determined not to be navigable, and the bridge was fixed, thus stationary.
Until the 1970's the bridge was used for single lane traffic; however, this became a problem, and it was turned to a pedestrian only bridge.
Through the years the bridge has had many names including The Magnolia Garden Bridge, Magnolia Bridge, and Silver Bridge (because of its painted color).
It may very well be the oldest bridge in the City.

St. Paul's Episcopal Church - Lakeview

Following the appropriation of their Camp Street location in the 1950's for the construction of the Mississippi River Bridge, St. Paul's Episcopal Church built its current location at the corner of Canal Blvd and Harrison Avenue in 1956. The new building was constructed using many parts of the old structure, including the pews, stained glass windows, marble pulpit, lectern, and the Last Supper frieze. The famous Ascension window, created in 1903 by Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich, Germany and measuring 29 ft high by 16 ft wide, was brought to the Lakeview site and incorporated into the new structure.

Lakeshore Drive, Shelters #1 and #2 (old concession stands) - Lake Vista

City Park (WPA Construction Projects) - City Park

Storyland, Botanical Gardens, Bridges, Casino Building, island with the aviary near the Casino

6855 Canal Blvd - Lakeview

Modernistic stucco house

6803 West End - Lakeview

Shingle house

Pontchartrain Beach site

Lincoln Beach site

Robert E Lee Theater - Lake Vista

"The Point" - Lakeview