Troyville Earthworks
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 31.626694 Longitude: -91.8165
Driving Directions:
— In Jonesville, from US 84 (Fourth Street), head north on Willow Street. View one marker at corner of Willow and Third Street, on left; second marker at corner of Willow and Second Street, on right.
Number of Mounds: 5, 1 embankment Number of Visible Mounds: 5, 1 embankment
Summer Viewing: Fair Winter Viewing: Fair

Before it was destroyed for bridge approach fill in 1931, Troyville was one of the most impressive mound groups in North America. The site is at the confluence of the Ouachita, Tensas, and Little Rivers; it contained nine mounds and a perimeter embankment. William Dunbar (of the Hunter-Dunbar expedition sent out by Thomas Jefferson) described the site in its pristine state in 1804. A “Great Mound” (Md. 5), at 82 feet high, was the tallest mound in Louisiana and one of the largest in North America. Eight smaller platform mounds were about 12 feet tall and 150 by 60 feet at the base. The embankment was 10 feet high and 100 feet across. The Great Mound had been reduced to a height of 50 feet by Civil War times, and Smithsonian archaeologist Winslow Walker excavated it in 1931 and 1932. He uncovered woven cane matting, palmetto fronds, and wooden planks within the mound: evidence of the complex engineering used to build this AD 700 mound. Its modest remains are on Willow Street and Second Street. Another mound is visible near Front Street and Second Street, while the embankment can be seen at Willard Street and Front Street. Troyville is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.