Coordinates: Latitude: 31.825272 Longitude: -91.651125
— From US 425/La 15 in Sicily Island, head west on La
8. Go 0.4 mile to La 1017/Eleventh Street; turn left. Go 1.6
miles to markers on left.
— From La 913, head east on La 8. Go 3.4 miles to La
1017; turn right. Go 1.6 miles to markers on left.
of Mounds: 4
of Visible Mounds: 4
Mounds was a five-mound complex on the edge of Maçon Ridge
overlooking Lake Louis, in the Ferry Place National Register District;
one mound is no longer visible. The largest mound (Md. E) is an
18-foot tall platform mound, 165 by 180 feet at the base and about
65 by 55 feet at the summit; its flank is visible south of the
marker. The three other remaining mounds are dome-shaped, averaging
4 feet tall and about 100 to 130 feet in diameter. About 150 feet
north of the marker, in front of the old Peck homeplace, is one
of the smaller mounds (Md. C); two others (Mds. A and B) are on
either side of the modern brick house north of the marker, and
one of these dome-shaped mounds (Md. A) is also the family cemetery.
Each of the smaller mounds was built in a single stage on top
of refuse heaps. Charcoal from under Md. C dates to AD 650–860
(late Troyville/early Coles Creek periods). Nearby is the Peck
Village site, where archaeologist James A. Ford conducted a landmark
study in 1933. Based on prehistoric pottery from that site, he
established a chronology still used today.