Coordinates: Latitude: 32.774222
— From La 2 and La 15 in Farmerville, head west on La
2 (Bernice Hwy). Go 3.2 miles to Scott’s Hideaway Road;
turn left. Go 1.8 miles to marker on right.
— From D’Arbonne State Park, take Evergreen Road
to La 2; turn right. Go 1.8 miles to Scott’s Hideaway
Road; turn right. Go 1.8 miles to marker on right.
of Mounds: 5
of Visible Mounds: 2
Place is one of the few mound sites in north-central Louisiana.
It’s a five-mound complex above the confluence of Corney
Bayou and Bayou D’Arbonne (now part of Lake D’Arbonne).
The largest mound (Md. A), near the marker, is in good shape,
and its corners are easy to see. It’s 11 feet tall, with
a base about 125 feet square. Its platform measures about 70 by
45 feet. A core sample indicates it was built in one stage. The
second largest mound (Md. B) is about 270 feet to the northeast
(not visible from the marker), and appears to have been dome-shaped;
it’s about 6 feet high and 65 feet in diameter, and was
also built in one stage. An old wagon trail runs along its base,
and two trenches and a pit scar its surface. Charcoal from a hearth
beneath this mound dates to AD 1250 (Coles Creek/Plaquemine periods.)
Three smaller single-stage mounds (Mds. C–E) are just over
2 feet high and between 65 and 25 feet in diameter.