|The Governor's House|
|The governor’s house was the largest building at Los Adaes. It served as the residence for the various governors of the Province of Texas and a storehouse for the presidio. The Urrutia map shows small outbuildings near the house, which might be chicken coops. A large oven is visible on the front view of the house. The map also depicts four trees in the bastion near the governor’s house. Archaeologists think these were peach trees, because they found charred peach pits and charred peach tree wood in the ditch near this bastion. Archaeologists have also found fragments of other objects the governors may have used, like candlestick fragments, Talavera (tin-enameled) pottery from Puebla, Mexico, and porcelain from Asia.|
|The governor's house, shown on Urrutia's 1767 map||Asian porcelain||Spanish coin||Peach pits|
At first, the soldiers at Los Adaes were paid in cash, but the authorities quickly realized that the Spanish money was going to the French. Soon, little money circulated at Los Adaes and barter became the medium of exchange. Archaeologists have found very few coins at Los Adaes, only one Spanish coin and one French coin. Each year, the soldiers signed a document that gave power of attorney to a representative to go to Mexico City, collect their salaries in cash, purchase supplies in Saltillo and other towns, and return with them to Los Adaes. The goods were stored in the governor’s house complex. The soldiers each had an account book and were paid in supplies.
|Chipman, Donald E. and Harriet Denise Joseph 1999 Notable Men and Women of Spanish Texas. University of Texas Press, Austin.|