2016 Sunset Report

OLG & DCRT Strategic Plan
2016-17 through 2021-22

       

Did you know?

Pierre-Raymond-Jacques Monvoisin

Paintings Works On Paper Photographs Sculpture

 

French, 1794-1870

Monvoisin was born in Bordeaux. He studied at the École des beaux-arts with Pierre-Narcisse Guérin (1774 - 1833), an artist specializing in classical and mythological themes. In 1816, Monvoisin won the course de places, a life drawing competition, to the disappointment of fellow pupil, Theodore Géricault (1791 - 1824). In 1820, Monvoisin won a Prix de Rome in 1820 for a depiction of Achilles and Nestor, allowing travel to Rome. He was recognized by King Louis XVIII during the early 1820s. His brother, Jean-Francois-Marie Monvoisin, was a prominent architect in Paris.

Monvoisin also designed lithographs, and may have had a studio at Passage de l'Orme in Paris. He married to Domenica Festa (1805 - 1881), an accomplished miniaturist and painter of still lifes. Monvoisin was a member of the Frères Artistes, a Masonic lodge in Paris. Monvoisin died in Boulogne-sur-Seine. Although Monvoisin painted many Louisianans, there is no evidence he visited the U.S.

 

Clarisse and Caroline Duchamp
click for larger image
Clarisse and Caroline Duchamp
Pierre Raymond Jacques Monvoisin
1840
Oil on canvas, 39 ½ x 32 ¼ inches
Louisiana State Museum, Gift of Mrs. P. Malarcher 08111.3

These charming young ladies were the daughters of Bernard Duchamp and Marie Théodore (née Pédesclaux). Duchamp had come to New Orleans from Bordeaux, France, and built a successful business as a commission merchant. He died from cholera in 1832. The family lived at 809 - 811 Royal Street. Caroline would marry Pierre F. Durell, a French doctor, in 1843. They had nine children, and lived in New Orleans through the Civil War. Clarisse never married.

 

Mrs. Bernard Duchamp with Son Henri and Daughter Adele - Pierre-Raymond-Jacques Monvoisin
click for larger image
Mrs. Bernard Duchamp with Son Henri and Daughter Adele
Pierre Raymond Jacques Monvoisin
1840
Oil on canvas, 39 ½ x 32 ¼ inches
Louisiana State Museum, Gift of Mrs. P. Malarcher 08111.2