• The Lockhouse, built in 1909

    Plaquemine Lock was built in 1909, to help with river traffic on the Mississippi

  • The lock and gates, still in place

    What remains of the actual lock, with the gates still in place

  • Inside the lock museum

    Inside the lock museum, including a model of the lockhouse and site

57730 Main Street
Plaquemine, LA 70764

Site Operation:
  • Plaquemine Lock State Historic Site is operated by Iberville Parish and the City of Plaquemine (WEBSITE)
  • Operating hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m

Entrance Fees
  • Please call Plaquemine Lock (225-687-7158) for fee information

Facilities and Activities
  • Daily Tours
  • Museum / Historic Buildings
  • Historic and/or Nature Programs
please call the site before your visit to verify the above items are available on the day of your visit

Plaquemine Lock State Historic Site sign

As a distributary of the Mississippi River and a route to the heartland of Louisiana through the Atchafalaya Basin, Bayou Plaquemine was used as a navigable artery centuries before the age of European exploration. From the early 1700s, Bayou Plaquemine served as a commercial transport route, promoting settlement and economic prosperity in southwest and northern Louisiana via the Atchafalaya, Red and other rivers. ↓ show more

The Plaquemine Lock was designed by Colonel George W. Goethals (1858-1928), the assistant to the chief engineer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Goethals later gained distinction as chairman and chief engineer of the Isthmian Canal Commission for the design and construction of the Panama Canal.

When completed in 1909, the lock was significant for having the highest freshwater lift of any lock in the world -- 51 feet -- and a unique engineering design that used a gravity flow principle. The gates were later modernized by the installation of hydraulic pumps. The lock served its purpose well by providing a shortcut from the Mississippi River into Louisiana's interior. By 1925, Bayou Plaquemine had become the northern terminus of the Intracoastal Canal system.

Increased river traffic during and after World War II put a severe strain on the lock's capacity and demand increased for a larger lock at Port Allen. In 1961, a larger set of locks began operating at Port Allen and the Plaquemine Lock was closed after 52 years of service. Thirteen years after closing the lock, the Corps of Engineers supervised the construction of the present levee across the mouth of Bayou Plaquemine at the Mississippi River, giving the historic old structure greater stability and providing flood protection, while closing off access to the Mississippi River through Bayou Plaquemine.

In 1972 the Plaquemine Lock structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, an honorary designation for significant historic sites. In addition to the lock, the area includes the Gary James Hebert Memorial Lockhouse, which serves as a museum and visitors center. Hebert worked to prevent the destruction of the lock by the Corps of Engineers and campaigned to have the area preserved as a historic site. Facilities also include a stylized adaptation of the Lockmaster's house which provides open-air pavilion space to display various water craft used when the lock was operational.

↑ show less
©2020 Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism